U.S. & World

O'Reilly is out at Fox but influence endures; career too?

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    April 22, 2017 6:42 p.m.

I can't understand why O'Reilly didn't follow the script and take the forgiveness road like all other celebs in trouble. First you disappear, a few days afterwards your agent holds a press conference to reveal that Bill is in re-hab for his womanizing/prescription drug addiction/alcoholism (take your pick). 30 days later, Bill returns to ask all he has offended to forgive him, although it wasn't Bill's fault but his addiction.
    Fox announces they forgive him and will retore the man to his original time spot, now called "Making Nice With O'Reilly".

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    April 21, 2017 6:37 a.m.

I demand equal and fair treatment!

• Zina Young Sandy, UT
    April 21, 2017 12:26 a.m.

@CB
    Perhaps you would be better served watching the news in Saudi Arabia.
    No pesky, distracting women on the news there.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 20, 2017 11:33 p.m.

To call O'Reilly "Conservative" is too simplistic. He is more Libertarian than conservative. He is clearly not a social conservative and very rarely prioritized the issues true social conservatives value.

Trying to attack all those who disagree with you because of the misdeed of one individual is always a bad plan. To attack them because of the misdeed of an individual who they do not actually resonate with on the issues is an even more questionable plan.

• Allisdair Thornbury, Vic
    April 20, 2017 9:03 p.m.

Old saying "Live by the Sword die by the Sword"

@CB For Rupert to pay out $13 million it was way more than " I didn't like the way he looked at me!"

Unfortunately some of these stars start to believe their own press and think themselves above the moral code and on occasions, the law.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    April 20, 2017 8:24 p.m.

Karma, in a way. Those of us that have spent decades in corporate America have seen many men like Bill O'Reilly. He actually survived longer than most letches because of the millions he made Fox over the years. No doubt he'll land somewhere because there always will be a place and an audience for his behavior and rhetoric.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2017 6:53 p.m.

Fox only let Bill go when he became a financial liability. Fox had already helped him settle complaints and had paid millions to those women. He was a predator, and doing it without regard to anyone's rights or opinions.

I strongly disagree with CB's comments which indicates these women deserved this immoral and illegal treatment. There are people who blame the victims instead of the sick individuals who perpetrate these crimes. That is what Fox did in protecting Bill for so many years.

Time for this guy to go and enjoy his millions that Fox will pay him to leave. I doubt the women and others he did these horrible things to will be able to enjoy their lives as easily.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    April 20, 2017 6:10 p.m.

I think Bill O'Reilly is innocent.

Did something "sexual" happen in his past? Perhaps. Was it really "sexual harassment"? I doubt it.

I read something, from a liberal online source no less, in which the woman who most recently accused O'Reilly of sexual harassment stated that even AFTER her supposed "harassment" occurred she A) willingly appeared on O'Reilly's show 5 times B) asked O'Reilly's producer if she would ask O'Reilly to promote her book even when she was NOT on O'Reilly's show and C) she still wanted a job at Fox News.

So I ask, who is using whom?

I have yet to see a single shred of credible evidence that sexual harassment occurred. So a man asks a woman to come to his hotel room. That is not sexual harassment, that's an invitation. To do what? We don't even know for sure, because no details have been given.

Sadly, our legal/judicial system has become such a mess that "justice" is hardly ever obtained. It often actually costs less to pay someone what they demand rather than fight them in court.....it is legalized extortion.

And who would want to shut O'Reilly down? The mainstream media, 99% of which is extremely biased against conservatives.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 20, 2017 4:08 p.m.

Get the man while he's on vacation.

Things are seldom what the media makes it appear to be.

Sorry Bill, but unless you're a politician, you'll be held accountable for how you treat interns.

• Anti Bush-Obama Chihuahua, 00
    April 20, 2017 3:25 p.m.

I find it hilarious that people actually equate O'Riley to the alt-right. He is more liberal than half the liberals out there and is a huge enemy of populism.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2017 1:52 p.m.

I was not a great fan of Bill O'Reilly but when I read a complaint that " I didn't like the way
    he looked at me!" and that is related to sexually harassment, I wonder what women have become. Of late I have not been the least impressed with their behavior. In today's climate I tell my husband he would have been arrested for following me around campus, just so he could run into me and say hello.
    Frankly it was the preponderance of the women on Fox that caused me to leave them.
    I find the women on Fox with their legs crossed, skirits half way up their thighs and necklines half way to their naval very offensive.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    April 20, 2017 1:32 p.m.

First Roger, now O'Reilly.

Flynn is out, Chaffetz won't run again in 2018.

Maybe Trump will be impeached soon? One can only hope that the public at large sees the alt-right media machine for what it really was.

A bunch of folks that want to stagnate or reverse years of progress and concentrate wealth and power into the hands of the few, while pretending to be holy and righteous when in fact they are not.

Beware the Wolves in Sheep's clothing.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 20, 2017 9:16 a.m.

Isn't modern conservatism wonderful?

Whatever happened to the conservatives of old who once believed in honesty, fair play, and respect for good ideas and good people?

• Bob K Davis, CA
    April 20, 2017 7:44 a.m.

Perhaps I and some others would expect a DM story to excoriate somebody so full of Pride and so willing to bend or obliterate the truth and thus deceive millions of people.
    He can be very intelligent but he can also cater to hatred and divisiveness.
    O'Reilly was not brought down by liberal groups unless you construe women and men who want a Level Playing Field for women employees as liberals.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2017 7:40 a.m.

He will be Secretary of Golf and get in on the Chocolate cake.