Utah

McMullin says he may challenge Hatch or Chaffetz in 2018

• james d. morrison Boise, ID
    March 21, 2017 2:10 p.m.

Therapist1 - it is pretty clear where McMullin stands on Trump. No clarification needed there.
    NoNamesAccepted - inner-city Salt Lake? That's funny.

Amazing to see people write that Chaffetz is doing a good job. I guess any publicity is good publicity.

• Middle of the road Mormon South Jordan, UT
    March 19, 2017 9:49 a.m.

Evan, please run against Chaffetz. My wife and I will both vote for you in the primary we live in his district and we and many of our friends and neighbors are sick and tired of what he is doing and how poorly he represents our state and its people.

We need to get back to common sense, reasonable government.

We need people in the GOP that will hold Trump in check.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 18, 2017 11:21 p.m.

This guy is not an option for Utah.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2017 6:46 p.m.

He is a independent and reasonable. He will do well in the next huge anti Donald wave.

• Brer Rabbit Spanish Fork, UT
    March 18, 2017 11:30 a.m.

In reading the comments I see that most of those commenting have little understanding of how the election processes works in Utah. For example, McMullin couldn't beat Hatch even if Hatch was in a nursing home under hospice care. The general election for state office is of no consequence, the candidates are actually elected at the republican primary, and since McMullin is not a republican, his chance of being elected is the same as for the democrat, zero.

As for Chaffetz' 3rd CD McMullin's chances are also zero. I don't know where he lives in the 3rd CD, but I doubt that McMullin could even be elected to the Utah state legislature. McMullin's only real position was that he was a choice for non democrat Utahns that didn't want to vote for Trump or Clinton. There are zero non-republicans elected to political office outside of SL County, and McMullin is not a republican.

• PamFlinders Sandy, UT
    March 18, 2017 11:03 a.m.

I am so sick of this talk of RINOs - the Republican party is bigger than the racist, anti-science, anti environment party it has become in the last eight years.

You want to talk RINO-
    What about this expensive ridiculous wall that is being built?
    What about the fact that the security detail on Melania in New York costs as much as the yearly budget for the arts?
    What about the talk of government overreach - and yet we are ok with programs that spy and collect data on our own people.

THOSE aren't Republican ideas either.

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    March 18, 2017 10:33 a.m.

I guess I know what McMullin was against, less about what he was for. While Hatch and Chaffetz are not perfect, they do seem to reflect the views of the majority here. That being said, I would like to see national term limits, this would drastically change the field of candidates. I don't like the fact that most elected officials begin working for the government in some way and then get elected again and again, and end their careers in government service. Wouldn't this be the case if we elected McMullin? We have a big disconnect between regular folks and those who've depended on the government for their wage. There are inherent problems with being governed this way, we become conditioned into thinking the only solutions are government solutions.

• swartzy1 Dallas, TX
    March 18, 2017 9:38 a.m.

I keep trying to find out more about this man, but I can't get information What I do know is that he is LDS or was, or is some sort of LDS, was working with the CIA and ?????? What is his platform? What are his main goals for govt? I can't find out much about his life as to what he supports or lives. He seems to have come out of the forest and walked into Politics and I am very concerned about backing him. I live in Texas and most of us LDS members here scratch our heads and wonder why so many in Utah back him when we still don't know anything about him. It sure would be nice to find out more before I would vote for him. Does anyone really know what he is running for, or what he is about? My biggest concern is if he his conservative, by his actions, that is the most important. I see posts saying he is gay, so what, Is he honorable in his actions? Is he a good man? but most of all what is his position on the constitution and making our laws constitutional? Then I would be happy.

• QuantCommenter salt lake city, UT
    March 18, 2017 7:20 a.m.

@UtahBlueDevil , I am totally on board with you. The new Republican party lacks perspective.

I used to vote Republican consistently until the party was hijacked by the conspiracy theorists. I appreciate that McCain and Graham have the guts to stand up to Trump, someone that does not represent Republican values at all. I don't expect to see that kind of strength from my spineless representatives, Hatch and Chaffetz.

New Republicans complain passionately about welfare while, at the same time, asking that the entire economy be reset because they don't want to learn how to do new jobs. I thought we were pro personal responsibility? I guess not if it means that we have to learn new skills. Party principals used to be anti-entitlement and at least somewhat fact based - not any more.

I like McMullin because he is an actual conservative. He is pro-trade because it makes economic sense and I believe he would oppose the huge expense on our southern border because it doesn't appear to actually address a problem. I would love it if I could vote for McMullin over either Hatch or Chaffetz.

• C J Alpine, UT
    March 18, 2017 7:03 a.m.

Hatch should retire at the end of his term. He will get no where with the GOP delegates who have been markedly anti-incumbents the last 4 years. I'd love to have Chaffetz in there to replace him.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    March 18, 2017 6:24 a.m.

He so enjoyed his fifteen minutes of fame he wants fifteen minutes more.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2017 12:49 a.m.

@water rocket "He [McMullin] isn't married, which in this state makes a difference,..."

But he doesn't openly grope women which should count for something in this state.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    March 17, 2017 10:05 p.m.

"His true enemies are true Republican Conservatives as he is a Lindsey Graham John McCain RINO!"

Truth.... who made you arbitrator of what a republican is? Who said you get to decide who is a real republican, and who is a so called RINO. I would contend that it is those who spew hate and disdain at others who are the true RINOs. It is they who say their is only one way of thinking that qualifies as a true conservative... they are the real RINOs.

The two men you mock... as RINOs... have done far more for this nation, for conservative values, then all those talking heads and web bloggers combined. You may not agree with everything they say, or believe, but you are no more a true conservative then are they. I find it most amusing how so called conservatives feed on their own because those others don't conform to what ever preconceived notion of what conservatism is.

Sounds a lot like another group from another part of the world.

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2017 9:55 p.m.

please, please, please, ANY decent republican rather than hatch. If hatch gets the nomination, I'll write my neighbor's name on the ballot.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2017 9:42 p.m.

Mullin is a glutton for punishment he would do better running as a Democrat. His true enemies are true Republican Conservatives as he is a Lindsey Graham John McCain RINO!

• Therapist123 Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 17, 2017 8:43 p.m.

Before Mr. McMullin can run in Utah, he needs to make it clear to Utahan's where he stands on the main issues: Public lands, Health care, 2nd Amendment, etc. His anti Trump stand will also need to be clarified. Currently, I am not sure just how conservative he is, sure he is former CIA, but that does not make him a rock ribbed conservative. Also, if he challenges anyone, it needs to be Hatch. Chaffetz has his faults, everyone does, but for the most part he has done an exemplary job representing Utah. I am not sure that McMullin is the man to replace Hatch, but someone needs to ! and it MUST NOT be a Romney, Huntsman, or any of our former Governors !!! Prove yourself to the people of Utah, then challenge Hatch!! Otherwise, go away !!

• Moderate Thinking Logan, UT
    March 17, 2017 8:10 p.m.

I would love to see both Hatch and Chaffetz replaced by non-partisan candidates. Both seem to put party (or self) over country time and again.

I think McMullin could do it. What has worried me about him is that he has positioned himself and his movement as being squarely anti-Trump. Don't get me wrong, I agree with his views on Trump and know we would be far better off getting rid of our current president. But I want to see a more constructive platform coming from McMullin and Stand Up Republic.

I want to see questions answered like: how are you going to help restore bipartisanship? What steps are you going to take to increase transparency in government and eliminate corruption? How will you handle money and special interests?

Tell us where you stand on that, Evan, and you'll find a strong ally in me.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    March 17, 2017 7:41 p.m.

Orrin Hatch will not run in 2018. He has done an admirable job as Senator and served us well here in Utah and the United States and I predict he will retire at the end of this term. Jason Chaffetz' stock is rising rapidly and I will predict he will run for Senator of Utah in 2018 and he will win. We have been represented well in Utah by these two.

• Jeff Harris Edmonds, WA
    March 17, 2017 7:37 p.m.

Utah would be well served by having a US Senator and/or a Representative who dealt with facts instead of fabrications.

• SLars Provo, UT
    March 17, 2017 7:26 p.m.

We didn't know him before, now we know he is a progressive that believes in open borders. He admitted that he was running to stop Trump (that was his claim), which put him on the same side as Hillary.

Now that I know him, I will work against him.

• David Centerville, UT
    March 17, 2017 6:07 p.m.

@1123....

"I have yet to hear McMullin criticize a liberal."

You must not have studied McMullin's campaign closely. He was critical of Obama and Democrats. He was critical of Trump because Trump was awful as a candidate, and has not been presidential since. Trump supporters are excited because Trump presented a conservative SC nominee. But Trump has also presented Obamacare-lite (why is government in the health care business for regular Americans?).

Trump wants a single payer healthcare system. That is more liberal than Obamacare. But then he talks about building a wall and that gets conservatives excited.

McMullin is more intelligent, and in my opinion, more experienced and ready to be president than Trump. I know some will disagree with me, but that's my opinion.

So if McMullin is running for the US Senate or House, I will look at his candidacy again. He got my vote in the presidential election against awful candidates (Hillary & Trump). It was a no brainer. I don't know about a run against Hatch or Chaffetz.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 17, 2017 6:00 p.m.

McMullin seems eager to say anything he thinks will get him ahead in politics. That's no different from Hatch or a lot of other politicians, both Republican and Democrat.

McMullin has no track record to prove that he is a conservative Utah person, or to prove that he is not a liberal pretending to be conservative.

He should start by challenging some of the liberal Democrats and build a track record in the Legislature or City Council.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 17, 2017 5:59 p.m.

Both Hatch and Chaffetz need to unseated by a challenger...

But McMullin is worse by far than both of them.

McMulllin stated his preference for Hillary over Trump.

Now... I understand Trump probably wasn't anyone's first choice. But he's far superior to Hillary.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 17, 2017 5:27 p.m.

Who didn't see this coming with his no chance Presidential run? Most people in the know said his campaign was nothing but creating name recognition to run for Senate or House. Personally, I wish he could replace both Hatch and Chaffetz.

• 112358 Alpine, UT
    March 17, 2017 5:16 p.m.

McMullin is making it increasingly clear that he is yet another politician attempting to advance his career wherever he sees an opportunity. As far as I can tell, his soon-to-be candidacy isn't about our Republic. It isn't about saving conservatism. It's about McMullin’s political career.

Moreover, McMullin's support seems to step from the political left-of-center. I have yet to hear McMullin criticize a liberal. Perhaps he has but, as far as I have heard, he has reserved negative comments exclusively for a broadening set of Republicans. He appears to be more liberal by the day.

• carpoolmom SOUTH JORDAN, Salt Lake
    March 17, 2017 4:35 p.m.

Please, please challenge Hatch. We need someone good who will run. Chaffetz is doing pretty good. But Hatch is a big big time closet liberal

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2017 4:30 p.m.

Challenge Hatch and let Kathie Allen replace Jason Chaffez. We could then bring a some integrity, common sense, and civility back to Congress.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    March 17, 2017 4:29 p.m.

For McMullin to challenge either of these two he would need to improve his image. I say this, even though I voted for him to be president. He isn't married, which in this state makes a difference, like it or not. As for his other qualifications, there needs to be a whole lot more made public in order for us to make informed decisions. Both Chaffetz and Hatch have high profile positions. Both have represented Utah well. Neither of them is perfect (that would be me, ha, ha, ha), but neither of them have scandals like Bill Clinton did. It is hard to change from a known to an unknown politician. Just look at "available Jones" Herbert to figure that one out.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 17, 2017 4:19 p.m.

Anyone but Hatch (or a Romney, Bennett, Leavitt, or other Utah political-family-dynasty member).

Hatch told us this was his last term. He lied. Nothing has changed to require him to remain. Indeed, with a Republian in the White House and the GOP the majority in Congress, it is a great time for a new, young, Utah Senator to start building some seniority. We don't need Hatch dying in office or being incapacitated with age or illness.

Chaffetz, OTOH, is young and doing a good job of representing the majority of his constituents. The very small, very loud, very rude and uncouth, even violent inner-city Salt Lake liberal minority, notwithstanding.

No need to trade Chaffetz for an establishment type.