Sports

Deseret News Rewind, Part 2: Rob Cuff stresses a need for more people to be willing to officiate high school sports

Comments

• JMHO Kanab, UT
    March 21, 2017 11:14 a.m.

The comment:
    "Three things need to happen.

Officials need to be paid more.

No tolerance for boorish behavior from players and coaches

Administration must warn/remove fans that are out of control."

If said in an article about teacher pay would be severely criticized. However, since referees are so important, we need to raise their pay.

• Light and Liberty St. George/Washington, UT
    March 21, 2017 9:02 a.m.

Maybe Rob could be the first one to volunteer! Amazing how those who are every bit as capable to do something are the first to want somebody else to do it! The progressives best play book! Do as I say, not as I do! Make everyone else redistribute their wealth while I, ala Bernie Sanders, live in my palatial mansion (s) and scream at others who do the working in this country and want to keep what they earn!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2017 8:53 a.m.

The comment about "Utah" being particularly competitive probably isn't completely accurate although Lister and Stewart are awesome. There attention and love of Utah sports is fun and they make it about the players. They should do all the TV of high school sports in my opinion.

If you travel around the country, you'll find that Utah isn't particularly bad when it comes to boorish behavior. I invite all of you to attend high school basketball games in Las Vegas and California to actually see parents coming on to the floor to yell at referees.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 21, 2017 8:01 a.m.

Maybe if the coaches and parents had a clue about what the rules actually are, their behavior might get better.

I also agree officials need to be paid much better. Much is expected of them but they get little in return. Varsity officials make a paltry $56.00 per game. The pay need to go way up. Most officials don't officiate for money, they officiate for the love of the game and the involvement in sports that they loved growing up.

By the end of a football season a varsity official might spend 30 to 35 hours officiating games over 12 or 13 weeks but spend four or five times more time than that studying, attending meetings, watching film, talking to other officials, looking at evaluations, and spending hundreds of dollars purchasing equipment.

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 20, 2017 5:23 p.m.

Three things need to happen.

Officials need to be paid more.

No tolerance for boorish behavior from players and coaches

Administration must warn/remove fans that are out of control.

• drich Green River, Utah
    March 20, 2017 2:11 p.m.

Maybe if the parents and some fans were more civil maybe they would. I have been told my many who thought it would be fun but found otherwise.