Utah

Utah bride and groom got kicked off United flight on the way to Costa Rica

Comments

• dski HERRIMAN, UT
    April 20, 2017 4:48 p.m.

United had taken a beating in the news lately but this couple's story sounds fishy. When an aircraft is boarded, everyone sits up as they settled in ready to take-off. As I have flown in countless flights, no one lies down to take a nap when the aircraft is about to take off. The flight attendants always come around to make sure people are secured in their seats. This time, I believe United's side of the story.

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    April 19, 2017 8:19 a.m.

And "United" unitedly asked the Air Marshal to unitedly asked both of them to leave.......LOL!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2017 3:59 p.m.

United Airways, the friendly skies....if there's room for you or if you're high on the priority list.

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    April 18, 2017 10:20 a.m.

I've flown close to a million miles on Delta and have logged flights on many other airlines as well. and something doesn't ring true to this story. It would be very odd to see a person completely sacked out during boarding. I've never seen it on the hundreds of flights I have taken. I've never seen a passenger kicked off a plane by marshals. With the fiasco last week I'm sure the airline is careful not to call in officials unless there is a valid reason to do so. Eventually the truth will come out. My guess is that this couple was trying to sit in an upgraded cabin with more leg room and was caught and finally asked to leave.

I have only flown united a few times over the last 20 years and have always had bad experiences. Their employees don't seem to care, planes are cramped even by todays standards and I was happy to get off the plane. I won't even consider them now.

• RJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2017 2:10 a.m.

From the article: "But they found a sleeping man spread across their seats."

During boarding? Not. Even.

• twinkleberry67 Layton, UT
    April 17, 2017 6:00 p.m.

Why wasn’t the supposed space hogging sleeper told to vacate the rest of the row and go back to his own seat so that others who had paid for those seats could use them? Was he an employee who needed to fly out somewhere fresh?If it were me I would have had the attendants remedy the situation so I could sit in the seat I payed for. Really, United needs a competent customer service management. This whole business of bumping passengers off a flight for moving their crews around is really beyond stupid as a business practice. It would cost them less to charter planes to fly their crews around as opposed to paying out token compensations to the bumped passengers not to mention all that bad publicity. They may very well be asking for trouble with still other passengers using this mess to take advantage of the system as well.

• Colorado Reader Littleton, CO
    April 17, 2017 4:45 p.m.

I think the couple was looking for a payoff and causes their own issues! They tried to exploit a damaged United to gain huge monetary gain for themselves and I hope it fails! Give me a break!!!

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    April 17, 2017 4:27 p.m.

I'm convinced! I will never fly united airlines or their affiliates!!

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2017 2:49 p.m.

When they boarded they should have gently woken the man so they could take their seats. Or, asked a stewardess for help. One of the reasons it matters where people sit is in case of emergencies or plane crashes. They need to know who was on the flight and where they were seated. Seems they were trying to take advantage of an airline that was already under the spotlight to see if they could get a deal. If people fly very often they have been bumped for higher priority flyers. We have been to help accommodate other people that needed to make connecting flights, on their way to family funerals, or flights due to emergencies. What is wrong with people? Pay it forward. You might need someone to get off in your behalf one day. Unfortunately, we have become a selfish and petty society, and one that struggles with following a few basic rules. The airlines should offer some money for the inconvenience and put you up in a hotel if you have to stay overnight. But, they shouldn't be held hostage for the highest bid or to cater to people's bad behavior.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 17, 2017 2:37 p.m.

Next time I really don't want to go somewhere but I feel pressure from friends or my boss to go, I'll buy a ticket on UA.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    April 17, 2017 2:26 p.m.

I don't even consider United when I fly. I have found their attendants to be smug and condescending. They act as if flying with them is some kind of privilege. Too many other choices to put up with a company like that.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    April 17, 2017 2:14 p.m.

What no video? Hard to believe no one turned their phone on if the Marshalls were involved.

You just cannot go around choosing your own seats like this is the UTA, TRAX or SouthWest.

That being said I have had nothing but terrible experiences when flying United.

I choose Southwest and Delta whenever I can. Alaskan is also very nice and provides great customer service.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    April 17, 2017 1:56 p.m.

Someone was sleeping in their assigned row??? I have flown a total of over 5 million miles combined with three carriers, including United. I have never seen a passenger take up an entire row and sleep while a plane is boarding...never! This story is bogus, I guarantee it!

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    April 17, 2017 1:49 p.m.

Doesn't someone have a video of this somewhere?

• JMH Provo, UT
    April 17, 2017 1:12 p.m.

A lot of this story (told only by them) does not add up. First, a man sleeping across a row prior to take off? Not likely. Most likely is they were in economy seats and saw some open seats in economy plus and decided to move up. Were told to return to their seats and disagreed. I suspect they thought with the recent problems United would just let them move. His comment "it is not like we were moving up to first class" tends to give away their intent.

I fly United and have never had a problem.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2017 12:56 p.m.

@Yorkshire
    "It is utterly inconceivable to me that at any time, let alone after the insanity of last week, that the flight attendants didn't either make the sleeping man sit up or leave the honeymoon couple alone."

That's why I stop believing the couples' story once it gets to the flight attendant talking to them the first time part of it.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    April 17, 2017 12:51 p.m.

You'd really call the US Marshals for this??

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    April 17, 2017 12:40 p.m.

...or, you could tap the guy on the shoulder and say, "Excuse me, these are our seats."

And if he gets mad, ask the lady in uniform in the aisle to help you get seated.

Or, maybe just stand around in the aisle until she comes to ask you why you didn't sit down.

• Johnny Triumph Ibapah, UT
    April 17, 2017 12:06 p.m.

I'm sure they saw the sleeping person in their row and just assumed they could upgrade themselves, especially in light of the bloody Dr incident. Surely they assumed UA flight attendants would be more friendly and accommodating to them. People are always trying to get a free upgrade. Plus they were sent on today's flight with no problems. There's clearly more to the story.

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    April 17, 2017 12:05 p.m.

Holy Cow,
    You can't write this stuff.

I fly American most often and it's standard operating procedure that if the flight is less than full to let people move around to an empty seat in their class.
    Some to get a window, some to get more leg room etc.

It's like there is a new United Airlines employee motto-- Let's see how we can give our company a public perception black eye today."

One in our group read this and wondered if the flight attendants Union is using irrationally poor customer service and treatment to punish United, a weirdo kind of 'working strike'.
    Makes more sense than that all these flight attendants recently are so clueless of how to treat paying passengers.

• Husker1 Northern Utah County, UT
    April 17, 2017 11:44 a.m.

I have a feeling there is more to the story than we are reading in this story.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    April 17, 2017 11:42 a.m.

Hey, there was no bloodshed, so United is getting better at customer service.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    April 17, 2017 11:43 a.m.

Sounds to me as if a couple of spoiled children got what was coming to them.

• Utah_Happyman Orem, UT
    April 17, 2017 11:13 a.m.

There will always be two sides of a story...Sensationalism is not journalism.

• Logit ,
    April 17, 2017 10:53 a.m.

There are conflicting messages here. The article says the couple moved (which I think means they followed flight attendant instruction). But then the couple says United told them they were "disorderly." *Maybe* there's some truth to the later. It's hard to say . But right now it doesn't matter. United has such a PR disaster on its hands due to last week's incident and has admitted to horrible customer service policies, only stupidity can now explain its willingness to risk even ambiguous incidents like this making it to the press.

• patriotstate Herriman, UT
    April 17, 2017 10:35 a.m.

Even with the egregious case of mishandling a patron and enlisting the Chicago Police as a private security force, United Airlines has not had enough of a shakeup to change their dangerous ways of treating customers.

It was very generous (written with much sarcasm) that United chose to upgrade the mishandled passengers from Utah. Perhaps the same treatment the first time would have been a better resolution.

Treat United in kind - with your feet. The airline business is competitive - I'll shop elsewhere.