Sports

BYU's offense likely to feature running back by committee this season

Comments

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2017 9:59 a.m.

BYU is very skilled at turning 2 star recruits into 4 star players while the utes are skilled at turning 4 star recruits into 2 star players. Stars do not matter.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 20, 2017 12:18 a.m.

Wallbanger,

IMO, BYU will never be in a P5 conference until it changes it's stance on parts of the honor code. Remember how the NCAA took a stance against the state of North Carolina?

As for the PAC, I don't expect them to make the final championships of football, or basketball. Having ranked teams, is a norm for being P5, and will always be that way. Politics. But with all the money, shouldn't they have the most ranked teams?

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 19, 2017 4:30 p.m.

Worf:

"Are the utes competitive in any of the P5's lowest conference?"

I agree that the PAC had a down year last year, expcept when they had the most ranked teams at one point until the losses started. But let's compare this...the PAC 12 was 7-5 with their OOC schedule vs. other P5s. Where as the might Independents where 6-16 vs P5s.

Would much rather be part of a conference any day, any year than be playing in Indy Land with a much lower payout, no conference championships or awards, no guaranteed bowl tie-ins, more difficulty in recruiting. The list goes on and on. But keep on degrading a conference you and your cougs wouldn't hesitate at all to join.
    Big 12 call lately?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 18, 2017 10:07 p.m.

BlueHusky:

"You're terrified that BYU is actually going to be good."

Why would I be "terrified" of a team who'd lost nearly 80% of our games over the past 15-yrs, and hadn't out recruited us even ONCE since 2008? You just made that up. How frantic and emotional of you.

Captain L:

"Did I miss something? I don't think I did."

You did. You missed the fact that "Letter of Intent Day" won't be for another 10 months, and, once that day DOES roll around, Utah's recruiting class will consist of more than just 2 recruits, and will be ranked higher than the Y's, just like every year since 2008.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 18, 2017 9:45 p.m.

Captain L;

Yes you did miss something. Byu will always rank higher than Utah when you have 8 listed recruits, where as Utah only has 2. That's been explained to coug fans multiple times. It does not mean your class is "better". Im pretty sure the Y hasn't out recruited Utah in a long time. The Utes take their time, even more so this season, as it seems to be paying off. Byu on the other hand, takes what they can get most of the time.

As much as I like Sitake, playing in the uncertainties of Indy land, and the strict rules of Byu, I wouldn't think it to be too intriguing for top recruits to come running.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 18, 2017 9:47 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see how running backs from both the utes, and Cougars do this coming year.

Are the utes competitive in any of the P5's lowest conference?

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 18, 2017 8:18 p.m.

Navel Vet: Scout .com rankings, BYU #22, for 2018, don't think I saw Utah in their list of top 25. Did I miss something? I don't think I did.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 18, 2017 8:13 p.m.

What's a BYU article without about half of the comments coming from obsessed BYU haters? As long as they continue to give in to their impulse to try to diminish BYU in any way, shape, or form, the DesNews will continue to write articles about BYU. Thanks for your support of BYU football and proving their relevance!

• water rocket Magna, UT
    April 18, 2017 6:19 p.m.

Going from a 5'9" 180 lb. guy to a 6'1" 255 lb. guy could be interesting. I would think the taller guy will get more passes while the smaller guy will be used as a scat back. I wonder if any have the explosiveness and speed that Williams had.

LaVell Edwards used to say that he used the passing attack to open up the run game, while most teams do just the opposite. Personally, I enjoy the run game, but I love the explosiveness of the passing game. Having a QB that can pass means they can score at any time, while the run game is more for ball control. A good QB that knows how to read defenses won't turn the ball over. Now, if only the O line can provide the protection?

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    April 18, 2017 5:12 p.m.

Naval - there you go again with your "frantic and emotional" comment. If anyone is "frantic and emotional" is you, amigo. You're terrified that BYU is actually going to be good. We'll see ... Lets see, Utah in Provo comes to mind.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 18, 2017 3:43 p.m.

Naval! You're one star report is flawed.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 18, 2017 11:58 a.m.

worf:

"Ula Tolutau is a two star running back?...Sheeesh! Someone is spreading fake news."

And that "someone" would be you. Because nobody here said that Tolutau was a 2-star RB. Straw man much? How frantic and emotional of you.

65TossPowerTrap:

You're welcome! Pointing out how "2-star" heavy your annual recruiting classes have been has always been a real pleasure for me too!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    April 18, 2017 11:32 a.m.

Many thanks to Naval Vet for his perpetual interest in BYU athletics. I truly do cherish his keen insight into the running back situation at BYU. It always bring the joy of humor to my life.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 18, 2017 10:17 a.m.

Ula Tolutau is a two star running back?

Sheeesh! Someone is spreading fake news.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 18, 2017 8:52 a.m.

"There are five or six guys that we feel good about running the ball. Not a lot of experience..." -- Salani Sitake

When you have 5 or 6 RBs -- none with significant experience -- you have NO running back.

65TossPowerTrap:

EVERY year will be a "rebuilding year" for the cougars. That's what happens when you annually sign "2-star" heavy recruiting classes.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    April 18, 2017 8:27 a.m.

I get the sense that this will be a rebuilding year for at least the offense. New quarterback, new running backs, inexperienced wide receivers. I don't know who returns on the OL -
    hopefully it will be the most experienced part of the offense.