Sports

Morning links: Mangum ranked a top QB to face SEC opponents; Hayward, Ingles top 5 free agent small forwards

• AttilaTheHun Nephi, UT
    May 20, 2017 6:47 a.m.

Guys guys guys, Enough with the harping on the U fans for gloating. Just let them have it. It's the good Christian thing to do for people with so little else in their lives but BYU sports comment boards.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 18, 2017 5:33 p.m.

You guys validate BleedCougar's point very well.

BTW, I Never post on a Utah article, because, frankly, I don't care.
    So, I, for one, honestly don't understand the Ute fan's obsession for BYU. You guys have the PAC-12 with a bright future. If I were a Ute fan, at this point, I wouldn't give BYU a second thought.
    So why do YOU?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 18, 2017 4:36 p.m.

BleedCougarBlue:

Uh-oh! Looks like a certain little someone just woke up and found himself on the wrong side of a quarter century of dominance!

Utah: 16-8 (.667)
    midmajory little bro: 8-16 (.333)

Clearly, the Utes are LITERALLY better than the cougs. Haha! How miserable for you.

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2017 3:53 p.m.

Bleed....ok, I'll bite....I'm LITERALLY saying that Utah is better than BYU. My proof? Um....let's see....how about the scoreboard? Rankings? P5 vs. Independence (which by the way your coach and AD said was unsustainable), 6 in a row, 11 of 14, 35 NFL draftees since 2005 vs. 13 in the same time period.....

Should I go on? By the way, that's not being condescending....It's the just the truth.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2017 3:39 p.m.

"'Rude' and 'condescending' is when Utah fans LITERALLY say they are better than BYU"

Bleeding:

Haha! Yeah, repeating "6-in-a-row" and "Every CFP ranking" is SO rude and condescending.

Please don't cry.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    May 18, 2017 9:29 a.m.

@ JohnInSLC - Cottonwood Heights, UT - May 17, 2017 2:23 p.m. "complain . . . when a Utah fan comments on a BYU article in a snide, rude, condescending way" " I admit I like to tease occasionally" Bleeding: Yeah, nothing hypocritical about that!"

Wrong.

One can "tease" without being "rude" or "condescending".

For instance, I just wrote a post on another article. One poster said they wondered how Utah puts so many guys into the NFL. I replied that I wondered why if Utah was so good then why didn't they win more conference games and why games against BYU are so excruciatingly close. That is "teasing".

"Rude" and "condescending" is when Utah fans LITERALLY say they are better than BYU and admit they purposely display an arrogant attitude against BYU. Yes, I have seen that exact thing stated by Utah fans many times on Deseret News articles. If you refuse to see the difference between teasing and condescending arrogance, I can't help you.

• brother roscoe Lehi, UT
    May 17, 2017 4:25 p.m.

@ bleeding blue
    When U fans comment we are rude and condescending, when y fans like yourself comment its good natured teasing, got it.
    My question was why do y fans always complain but U fans don't? Y fan can be mean spirited and hateful as well, just stop complaining that U fan throws shade, esp when u all do it too.

Do u really look forward to seeing the U in sept? I mean 6 in a row and 11/13?
    Its not 1984, I don't see any dominant players on kalanis team.
    Best of luck, think your going to need lots and lots of it to get that elusive W finally

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2017 2:23 p.m.

" I admit I like to tease occasionally"

Bleeding:

Yeah, nothing hypocritical about that!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    May 17, 2017 12:20 p.m.

@ Utahman4life - Lehi, UT - May 17, 2017 9:32 a.m. - "@ Bleed blue, Can you or anyone else explain to me why cougar fan whines about Utah fans reading and commenting on byU themes articles? What is the big deal? I like to be an informed fan.
    You are the one that went full obsessed fan in your initial comment.
    So U have never read or commented on a Utah themed article then?"

First, BYU fans don't "whine" if a Utah fan merely comments about a BYU article in a civil, polite way. We DO complain, justifiably, when a Utah fan comments on a BYU article in a snide, rude, condescending way. The latter happens all the time, amigo. All. The. Time.

Second, yes, I occasionally comment on pro-Utah articles. I admit I like to tease occasionally, but yet there is the difference again. MY comment, as a BYU fan, was on a BYU article and was written in a general response to BYU haters like Chris B and that Navy guy, Uteology, etc that spend more time bashing BYU than praising the school they, supposedly, root for.

Many Utah fans are living proof of hypocrisy at its finest.

See you in September!

• Armystrong Wendell, ID
    May 17, 2017 10:53 a.m.

It makes for great water cooler conversations and debates, but it is highly subjective at this point. Preseason hype is usually meaningless. Here's hoping that Tanner and the entire Cougars football squad have a great season. Stay healthy.

• Utahman4life Lehi, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:32 a.m.

@ Bleed blue
    You are the one that went full obsessed fan in your initial comment.
    So U have never read or commented on a Utah themed article then?

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    May 17, 2017 8:52 a.m.

@ Utahman4life - Lehi, UT - May 16, 2017 1:54 p.m. - "BleedCougarBlue - Hey, Utah fans....where's the nationally syndicated/non-Utah-based newspaper article on YOUR starting QB?" I love that an article about YOUR qb is written and your first thought is about big brother. rent free 24/7"

One teeny, tiny difference: I'm a BYU fan posting on a BYU article. You?, eh, not so much....

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 16, 2017 11:57 p.m.

@Striker

------

Western Kentucky 2016
    Troy 2013, 2012, 2009...
    Memphis 2009
    Alabama Birmingham 2014, 2013...

Should I continue, or do you get the picture why cupcake down south has 2 SEC games?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 16, 2017 7:45 p.m.

Just ahead of the qb from TCU, just behind the qb from Michigan.

No matter how you spin it, this is pretty high praise from a fairly knowledgeable sports writer with no reason to man-crush over Tanner.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    May 16, 2017 6:05 p.m.

Out of the 12 football-related comments, 8 of them are from Ute fans and BYU haters. If BYU is upsetting them this much you know it's a good sign.

Some of those posters make it sound like Mangum is worse than all the P5 QBs. I looked at the list and found out that they were wrong. Again. Verdict: if a BYU hater gives a "fact" about BYU, don't take their word for it.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 16, 2017 5:47 p.m.

@striker - yes BYU may be the only non-SEC team to play 2 SEC teams. But, like ranking Mangum the #8 out of conference QB, this is a totally meaningless stat. There isn't a P5 team that would schedule 2 of their 3 or 4 out of conference games against the SEC - so the pool of teams that has enough room in the schedule is pretty small. Just like the pool of good teams playing the SEC schools when the entire conference mostly plays low end competition in out of conference games.

• brother roscoe Lehi, UT
    May 16, 2017 4:43 p.m.

byU, where its enough to just be on the same field as SEC teams.
    Yep, a storied program indeed.
    Go Liberty!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 16, 2017 4:26 p.m.

Striker:

"Name one non-SEC school who can say that in any season in football."

Not many can. But mostly because that's not a "thing". Never had there ever been a metric in all of college football for "which non-SEC team will play the most SEC opponents in a single season", so nobody really pays attention to that irrelevant factoid.

• RedLegBandit West Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2017 4:05 p.m.

Not only will Mangum likely be a Heisman candidate but it's probable that one of his backups will be too! Go Cougars!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 16, 2017 1:56 p.m.

BYU versus 2 SEC schools. Name one non-SEC school who can say that in any season in football. Not even Notre Dame can say this. Where one person ranks a QB who plays the SEC is totally irrelevant, but playing two teams is. Really excited to see Mangum verses these teams!

• Utahman4life Lehi, UT
    May 16, 2017 1:54 p.m.

@BleedCougarBlue

lol

• fatherof7 Phelan, CA
    May 16, 2017 1:21 p.m.

"Small forwards?" Isn't Kevin Durant 7'+?

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    May 16, 2017 12:36 p.m.

worf,

Look at the list. Coming in at #8 should be expected. SEC plays a bunch of FCS schools for non-conference play. He fits right above FCS QBs and right below P5 QBs. No surprises.

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    May 16, 2017 12:35 p.m.

Why would a DNews article about a BYU "offend" anyone, or surprise anyone for that matter?

As usual, byu​ leads most every category in the preseason.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    May 16, 2017 12:16 p.m.

Oh, right, there isn't one....

Oops.

Go Cougars!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 16, 2017 10:59 a.m.

"This will offend some ute fans.
    Waiting for the backlash."

dorf:

Hardly. It's you coog fans that should be offended.

The entire SEC only faces, what, nine P5 schools this year? The others are primarily FCS and a few G5. Ranking Mangum 8th in that group is faint praise.

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 16, 2017 10:05 a.m.

This will offend some ute fans.

Waiting for the backlash.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 16, 2017 10:00 a.m.

magnum will be heisman finalist before fall camp starts. go cougs.

• Johnny Triumph Lahaina, HI