InDepth

This common, legal substance can kill a healthy teen in 3 hours

• D&CF La Verkin, UT
    May 22, 2017 12:02 p.m.

5 hour energy drinks only have about 80mgs of Caffeine, the same as a cup of coffee
    I have gotten heart palpitations and pain in the heart area from monsters and rockstar's so i gave them up 6 years ago but I have never had pain or stress from 5 hour energy drinks.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2017 10:47 a.m.

Laura Bilington - Maple Valley, WA

The pharmacologic effects of caffeine are a matter of scientific fact. Denying caffeine's effects is not good public health.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    May 18, 2017 8:09 a.m.

This article implies that people who drink the same three drinks in two hours are likely to die. But millions of people do this every day without any ill effect. Precisely what caused this child's death is unknown--was it the combination of these drinks? Or what? People do die with no obvious cause-- a cardiac event was the precipitating cause, yes, but there's zero indication of what caused the event. It's irresponsible to suggest that there was something significant about his drink consumption that caused his death.

• Bruce A. Frank San Jose, CA
    May 17, 2017 11:33 a.m.

Check the labels of those "energy drinks" and you'll find that, except for one or two in the market, most of the coffee drinks on the menu of Starbucks contains 2 to 5 times the caffeine contained in "energy drinks."

It is terrible to lose a child particularly in a seemingly innocuous activity, but depending on the size, the latte could have caused the event all by itself. Most energy drinks contain about as much caffeine one cup of coffee brewed at home.

• Ann Blake Tracy Henderson, NV
    May 17, 2017 11:36 a.m.

Thank you for this! How sad and tragic it took a child losing his life for such an important subject to be addressed.
    Our ability to perform & cope is built via nutrition. Stimulants which force us beyond our natural ability should always be avoided. I have long been very concerned over the high rate of use of these drinks full of not only the stimulant, caffeine, but yet another very strong stimulant drug so similar to cocaine - sugar.

Not only is there the serious physical health risk associated with these drinks, but also the mental health risk. With the child suicide rate announced last week to be doubled worldwide and as of last year tripled in Utah, we should be even more concerned about any stimulant a child is consuming because we know that basic science tells us what goes up comes down. Stimulants produce depression after the initial high we mistakenly​ call an "energy boost".

But depression is not the only mental concern produced by stimulants. Psychiatrists have long warned that these so called "energy drinks" are producing a toxic psychosis in children which does not subside until the child stops drinking these stimulant drinks.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:24 a.m.

I pass by swig soda on my way to work every day and there is a line of 20 cars every morning. Reminds me a lot of the Northwest where you see people lining up for the early morning coffee. At least coffee has been proven to have some nutritional benefit, not so much for artificially flavored sugar water. If you can't start your day without 40oz of sugar water than I would dare claim (I'm sure I'll get "roasted" for this) that you are no better off physically or spiritually than those having their cup of coffee in the morning.......... and no I don't drink either.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:48 a.m.

I am addicted to chocolate.. I hear that has caffeine too... Well, don't judge me because I caffeine differently than you do.

I really think we just need to be wise as to what we consume.

• humbug Syracuse/Davis, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:25 a.m.

I appreciate the DN running this article. I was not aware of the danger and will gladly inform my children about it. Thanks, DN.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 17, 2017 8:04 a.m.

The FDA is a joke! Who knows what we are eating/drinking half of the time!

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    May 17, 2017 6:48 a.m.

JSB,

You are not required to report your caffeine consumption to your Bishop. As long as you keep it to yourself, your risk is low.

Oh, you meant health risk?

Still low...

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    May 16, 2017 10:14 p.m.

I occasionally have a 5-hour ENERGY drink. Usually I take only a half a bottle (about 1 ounce). It has other stuff in it that I don't know if it is good or bad. What kind of a risk am I taking?